Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Number 1134

"Dai number 1134!", I would yell and a figure of 6'2 would give me a glance with a smile on its face. Thats how I used to call Karthee when we studied together in Loyola CnC. I remember him going around the class the day before the last one asking everyone "Machi Perazhagan padam poroam, variyaa?" Me, being the lad who was already regretting the 5,000 odd bucks I shelled out for the course, said a no to him.

First day in college, ragging. We were told not to tuck in our shirts and all the general stuff that is supposed to happen in the process. Second day we were taken to the shooting studio to be ragged 'officially' and there was Karthee 'narambu pudaichifying' due to the humiliation. His clenched fist was creating too many veins in his hand go bezerk. I didn't see him that angry for years after that. As Raju has mentioned in his post, me, Raju, Karthee and KK had a nice time during the cricket selection, with KK bowling his flighted deliveries which always take hours to land. Our bond in the first year was mostly built around cricket in Crescent.

But I was the one who gave Karthee his first feel of the limelight! I cast him in my first film as a doctor and the dialogues from the movie have become a part of DG Viscom legacy since then. Karthee's slang was the highlight in the movie. He made it look so easy on screen. He always had this aura of "Ya, Im here. Nothing will go wrong!" about him. Our movie connection continued well into the second year.He'd come to my house daily for his movie edit. I have heard of directors who shoot a lot of footage but Karthee was extraordinary!

4 Hours of footage for a 15 min docu! Bunny the perfectionist!

Third year. Karthee declared his love to the class, something I dunno how many would have the guts to do. Definitely not me. We had a few heated arguments before the college trip but he took it all ever too lightly. Even after returning from the trip I played a few jokes him at times but he was ever cool. Just cant forget the way some of our guys went to Vettaiyaadu Vilayaadu FDFS on Sharanya's B'day and had the whole class waiting for our gang till we came to her treat. Karthee called us up and was repeatedly persuading us to come soon when I said to him in his own slang "Machi naanga Vettaiyaadu Vlaaaaaaadu padathula irukkoam. Apparam varoam." If I had been in his place I'd have used the choicest of bad words but Karthee coolly waited for us.

Towards the fag end of our college life, Karthee was always there when I was down as far as my love life was concerned. Whenever there was some problem between me and my co, he'd take my side and say to her that "Pasanga nnaa apdithaan!" and stuff. I still remember the day when I was totally depressed cos of some problem in my co's family and the situation was that her parents were looking for some other groom for her. Karthee came to me and coolly said "Machi ponna thookkalaam vaa da!" His solution may not be practical to many but it made me feel a world of good. Our trips together to the ECR can never be forgotten, with me in my co's Pep trying to overtake him in his Pulsar. He'd let me win to make me look the hero before my co. The perfect gentleman.

He was the one who was keeping me updated with the nook and corner of Virudhunagar when we were watching 'Veyyil'. He was the one who sat beside me during the 'Veerasamy' laugh riot. Laughed our hearts out.

Queensland trip is the last memory I would like to have of him and I would like the ones after that to rather erase away. He was having a whale of a time riding of electronic horses and stuff. A six foot toddler is what we saw in Queensland. A guy whom we can ever bank on for any job. You will always be the best guy da. You have done what many people in their 60's would be content to look back as their own.

By the way 1134 was the mark he got in his 12th boards. Studious chap!

5 comments:

astute87 said...

"You have done what many people in their 60's would be content to look back as their own."

Agreeing with you..... This post had an impact, nicely written.

Now I'll go and start working on my post.

pavan madhini said...

machan, kalakita da.......i have no words apt enough to describe this...........sure as hell, bunny lives on .

Unknown said...

His score was 1137. But he wd never allow anyone to talk abt it.Modesty i guess!
"You have done what many people in their 60's would be content to look back as their own."
Its true.Like everyone says he has earned and achieved what any normal person living to the age of 60 or more wd have to in a whole lifetime.Only if he had had the time to cherish it too..

s()ms!e said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
s()ms!e said...

mine was 1135.. :)
i wont say "may his soul rest in peace". Because it is kept alive by these posts...As long as the blog stays ..Bunny lives on..!